Be it a recent event or one from the distant past, traumatic experiences affect many people. If you can’t get over a traumatic experience, it might just be that you never developed the coping mechanisms that are needed in order to handle trauma.
Unfortunately, many victims of trauma turn to drugs and alcohol to self-medicate their symptoms. While the addition of substance abuse to an already difficult situation will have a profound effect, the disappointing thing is that it will ultimately be a negative effect. Thankfully, professional trauma treatment can help to resolve the situation in a much healthier manner.
Symptoms of Trauma and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
The symptoms of trauma can vary greatly between individuals; however, there are a few commonalities that can be seen across the board. These include the following symptoms:
- Reliving the traumatic experience, often in vivid flashbacks
- Nightmares and other sleep difficulties that include trouble falling and staying asleep
- Avoiding friends and family members in lieu of spending time alone
- Avoiding situations that could trigger memories of the trauma
- No longer enjoying once-loved activities and hobbies
- Feeling constantly on edge and jumpy
- A feeling of constantly being watched
- Easily startled
- Quick to anger, aggression and other uncontrollable emotional outbursts
The symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can have huge variations between individuals. Some of the factors that contribute to the variations include the following factors:
- How long the individual has been dealing with trauma
- The severity of the trauma
- Whether or not trauma and substance abuse are both present
Addiction and trauma can debilitate a life that was once vibrant and filled with joy. When you remove the trauma from the equation, and get professional treatment for the substance abuse, you will be effectively removing the hold that these problems have over your life. A quality PTSD rehab facility can offer you professional trauma treatment that will help you work through the associated memories and emotions of the event.
Trauma and Rehabilitation Help
If you find that you use drugs or drink because of trauma that you have yet to work through, reaching out for professional treatment can free you from this negative spiral. When it comes to trying to recover from substance abuse and trauma, it is important to recognize that if it were an easy process, you wouldn’t have been dealing with trauma on your own for so long.
Whether you are living with drug abuse and trauma, or alcoholism and trauma, we can help you regain control of your life from the trauma and the addiction both.