, domestic violence and alcoholism are serious problems in the United States and Canada. Hundreds of thousands struggle with the dangerous dynamic of alcohol abuse and family violence.
If you are a victim of domestic violence, please remember that this page may show up in your Internet history. For your safety, please delete your Web browser history after contacting us.
The Link between Domestic Violence and Alcoholism
Research shows that there is a definite link between domestic abuse and alcoholism (for information and sources for our research, see below). Domestic violence and addiction affects everyone from wealthy millionaires to blue-collar workers. This problem affects people of every race, income level and background. Both men and women can become abusive after drinking.
Check out the following facts about family violence and alcohol abuse:
- Alcohol consumption increases both the severity and amount of domestic violence in a household
- Alcoholism can lead to financial difficulties, infidelity and other conflicts which lead to violence
- Alcohol use affects self-control and may cause people to become unable to resolve conflicts peacefully
- Children who witness family violence are more likely to become alcohol abusers later in life
- Family violence may lead to additional drinking in other family members
- Many chronic abusers use alcohol abuse as an excuse for violent behavior
Change Your Life, Stop Domestic Abuse
Are you struggling with a drinking problem? Have you done things that you regret because of drinking? If so, it may be time to seek help. Alcoholism destroys families and relationships. Alcohol addiction treatment can help. Consider taking some time away from your everyday life to stop the cycle of addiction and abuse. Every case of addiction is unique. The right kind of treatment can help you uncover the reasons behind your alcohol consumption and violence.
Consider the following options for treatment:
- Individual and family alcohol counseling
- Medically supervised alcohol detox
- Overnight inpatient alcohol rehab
- Outpatient alcohol rehab
There are so many treatment possibilities. Let us help you find the best treatment for you and your family today. Our confidential 24 hour, toll-free helpline can help put you in touch with reputable, proven addiction treatment. We can help you with everything from planning treatment to arranging insurance coverage and seeking family support. Call now.
If Your Partner Is an Alcoholic
Do you live in fear of an alcoholic partner? Do you feel like you cannot plan for the future or even plan what may happen in a week? If you are living with an abusive or alcoholic partner, it will eventually take a serious toll on your life and the lives of your children.
There is help available. If you are able to communicate with your partner during a time of sobriety, you may want to plan an intervention for alcohol abuse. We can help. Many treatment programs can allow you the space to find safety and the family resources and counseling to help you create a better, safer life for you and those you love.